Welcome To Cottage Corner - Made By Fulham Fans, For Fulham Fans.
Winning the championship - Printable Version

+- Welcome To Cottage Corner - Made By Fulham Fans, For Fulham Fans. (http://cottagecorner.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Cottage Corner Forum (http://cottagecorner.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Fulham and Football (http://cottagecorner.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Winning the championship (/showthread.php?tid=8994)

Pages: 1 2

Winning the championship - woody - 04-04-2019

We need to build a squad from ground up that can not only win the championship but flow back effortlessly into the premier league.

It needs to be a more balanced side then that of 2017/18 playoff winners.

We need a flexible coach who can adjust effortlessly between attack and defence as needed.

The teams that are likely to leave and rejoin the championship could not be much worse for Fulham in terms of attacking sides we tend to thrive against leaving ( Norwich, Leeds, Ipswich, Sheffield united ) and battling combative sides joining ( Cardiff , Sunderland, etc ). This will make the task extra tough

Adding to that Middlesbrough, Stoke, Hull, Cardiff, Forrest, derby, Villa, Sunderland etc can all likely match our budget and ambition for promotion.

We will again need the best midfield in the division but need to drastically improve the defence and add more pace on the flanks areas crucial to quality Fulham teams / Fulham’s style of play.

The sessegnan lads have lead to a half hearted approach to signing left back and tight backs looking for temporary solutions. These are crucial positions for Fulham and the club must either go all in with both sess lads as fullbacks or make quality signings there.
The cotton wool approach to ryan in particular should stop he has to keep developing as a top player in a real club and he must be played in his best position. If he has weaknesses at defence that’s not a reason to move him forward he must be told to improve.
Likewise his finishing hasn’t been good enough for a premier league winger so if that’s his best position it too must improve.

The team will need 5 of the best 12 players in the league plus quality all over the park.
3-4 top quality loans will be required alongside 8-10 new signings.

There are only two undisputed starters in the current squad being ryan sessegnan ( if he stays ) and bettinelli.

There is a sour taste from knowing our ambition will again be premier league football yet most the squad were proven completely inept at that level. For that reason I favour an almost entirely new and young squad of talent

RE: Winning the championship - Tony Mac - 05-04-2019

Yeah well we’ve learnt that silky football in the championship doesn’t translate in the premiership, we need a team with a bit more fight and bite

RYAN also needs to up his game as he’s been terrible this season, I’ve noticed that he constantly loses the ball when he’s trying to dribble around opposition, another thing he got away with in the championship

RE: Winning the championship - Mr B P - 05-04-2019

Until we know who goes and what sort of manager we are saddled with now it is difficult to say. We expect Mitro to go but he may love it here and stay.

RE: Winning the championship - Northern FFC - 05-04-2019

(05-04-2019, 04:14 PM)Mr B P Wrote: Until we know who goes and what sort of manager we are saddled with now it is difficult to say. We expect Mitro to go but he may love it here and stay.

Mitro back in the Championship would be a huge boost. He'd guarantee us 20+ goals...I reckon... But we'd also need a back up with some pace for when we're chasing games.

RE: Winning the championship - Whiteforester - 06-04-2019

(05-04-2019, 06:24 PM)Northern FFC Wrote:
(05-04-2019, 04:14 PM)Mr B P Wrote: Until we know who goes and what sort of manager we are saddled with now it is difficult to say. We expect Mitro to go but he may love it here and stay.

Mitro back in the Championship would be a huge boost. He'd guarantee us 20+ goals...I reckon... But we'd also need a back up with some pace for when we're chasing games.

AK? Big Grin

RE: Winning the championship - A Taste of Logic - 06-04-2019

(06-04-2019, 08:47 AM)Whiteforester Wrote:

AK? Big Grin
If we had him back we would need a really hard manager he would walk all over Parker. A sort of Vinnie Jones with brains type manager.

RE: Winning the championship - Mr B P - 06-04-2019

To win the championship we need the best players, manager and buying team in the Division. I suspect at present we have none of those things.

RE: Winning the championship - Tony Mac - 06-04-2019

AK? Big Grin

I for one would love to see AK in a Fulham shirt again next season

RE: Winning the championship - Mr B P - 07-04-2019

(06-04-2019, 06:32 PM)Tony Mac Wrote:

AK? Big Grin

I for one would love to see AK in a Fulham shirt again next season
He would need a minder with a pain stick.

RE: Winning the championship - Northern FFC - 10-04-2019

(06-04-2019, 10:30 AM)Mr B P Wrote: To win the championship we need the best players, manager and buying team in the Division.  I suspect at present we have none of those things.

We currently have hands down the best Championship team for some time... Individually anyway, getting them to stay and play together is where the manager comes in.