Mousa Dembele Awesome
(17-02-2018, 11:00 AM)MR WHITE Wrote:
(17-02-2018, 09:00 AM)Whiteforester Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 02:18 PM)Mr B P Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 10:30 AM)rebel Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 10:13 AM)Whiteforester Wrote: You are so wrong; class is class whatever the era and he'd be playing with the advantages of modern fitness regimes, the fact that he could make those passes back then only confirms his status as our best ever player. I'll give you Haynes wouldn't have got the ball off of MD1, though he didn't do much of that anyway Big Grin
Sorry to disagree with you. Football was totally different then too, it was more or less route one, less passing in those days, that worked for JH. It's not just fitness that was different, lots of factors.

You are so wrong in every respect.  There are not a lot of films of that period but, apart from under Micky Adams, Fulham in my long experience have always played passing football. Haynes was brilliant at the long ball but he rarely missed a pass of any kind and score lots of goals as well.  You don not play 66 game for England more than half as captain unless you were a brilliant players.  Class and talent are timeless.

Beepee's right, Fulham have always tried to play a passing game Rolleyes

BP is fucking right.
SaveSave

(17-02-2018, 09:07 AM)rebel Wrote: The modern game has taken a major influence from Italy, the patient build up from the back. This going back decades.

How many decades you talking ? I remember how boring Italian football was ,every game was won 1-0.Thats were Leeds got it from.
About 30 years, Italians passed the ball around the back 4 (there football was known to be stale), here we use to by -pass the back 4, straight to midfield / forwards. I've never said that Fulham have never played passing football.
Reply }}
(17-02-2018, 12:52 PM)rebel Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 02:18 PM)Mr B P Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 10:30 AM)rebel Wrote: Sorry to disagree with you. Football was totally different then too, it was more or less route one, less passing in those days, that worked for JH. It's not just fitness that was different, lots of factors.

You are so wrong in every respect.  There are not a lot of films of that period but, apart from under Micky Adams, Fulham in my long experience have always played passing football. Haynes was brilliant at the long ball but he rarely missed a pass of any kind and score lots of goals as well.  You don not play 66 game for England more than half as captain unless you were a brilliant players.  Class and talent are timeless.

BP is fucking right.
SaveSave

(17-02-2018, 09:07 AM)rebel Wrote: The modern game has taken a major influence from Italy, the patient build up from the back. This going back decades.

How many decades you talking ? I remember how boring Italian football was ,every game was won 1-0.Thats were Leeds got it from.
About 30 years, Italians passed the ball around the back 4 (there football was known to be stale), here we use to by -pass the back 4, straight to midfield / forwards. I've never said that Fulham have never played passing football.

But you do seem to be suggesting that there was a then and a now when in fact formations and tactics have been fluid over the years...

4-3-3 This modern way of organizing the team was used by England in the 1966 World Cup as an alternative to their 4-1-3-2. It was the first formation without wing forwards.

5-4-1 This formation with five defending players was developed by the famous Inter coach Helenio Herrera. The 5-4-1 system was focused on defense, but also allowed counter attacks.

Both Italian clubs and the Italian national team had success with 5-4-1, including the World Cup silver medal in 1970.

There's more here...http://www.footballhistory.org/formations.html
"there is not a lot of difference between doing well and doing bad" (M Jol, 29-Nov-2013)
"sometimes great trees grow from small seeds" (Kit Symons 18 April 2015)
“Claudio is risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League.” (S Khan 14 Nov 2018)
Reply }}
(19-02-2018, 10:17 AM)Whiteforester Wrote:
(17-02-2018, 12:52 PM)rebel Wrote:
(16-02-2018, 02:18 PM)Mr B P Wrote: You are so wrong in every respect.  There are not a lot of films of that period but, apart from under Micky Adams, Fulham in my long experience have always played passing football. Haynes was brilliant at the long ball but he rarely missed a pass of any kind and score lots of goals as well.  You don not play 66 game for England more than half as captain unless you were a brilliant players.  Class and talent are timeless.

BP is fucking right.
SaveSave

But you do seem to be suggesting that there was a then and a now when in fact formations and tactics have been fluid over the years...

4-3-3 This modern way of organizing the team was used by England in the 1966 World Cup as an alternative to their 4-1-3-2. It was the first formation without wing forwards.

5-4-1 This formation with five defending players was developed by the famous Inter coach Helenio Herrera. The 5-4-1 system was focused on defense, but also allowed counter attacks.

Both Italian clubs and the Italian national team had success with 5-4-1, including the World Cup silver medal in 1970.

There's more here...http://www.footballhistory.org/formations.html
I haven't said anything whatsoever about formations.  The English game has evolved from the Italian game.
Reply }}
I'm trying to explain that the modern game has many influences not just Italian and formations do give an indication of the tactics to be employed.
"there is not a lot of difference between doing well and doing bad" (M Jol, 29-Nov-2013)
"sometimes great trees grow from small seeds" (Kit Symons 18 April 2015)
“Claudio is risk-free and ready-made for the Premier League.” (S Khan 14 Nov 2018)
Reply }}
J H played for Fulham for the whole of his career apart form a small period at the end when his powers had waned. Since then Fulham have had good players most of them have left for better teams and become better. J H in my my memory never had any off games he was the most consistently good players I have ever seen. Dembele is playing very well now but for long periods at Spurs he has not being playing well enough to get in the team.

For a Fulham player to be great he must be great when he is playing for Fulham for a lot of his playing life.
http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/all-news

Khan must be told that not all mild mannered people are a super heroes.
Reply }}